Friday, October 11, 2013

Bringing it all back home

This morning as I left for work, the front door was open and my wife was just outside for a moment.  I realized she didn't have her keys.

Given the role models we have in Washington these days, the idle thought (as a joke, of course) occurred to me: Suppose I closed the front door and told her that she's locked out unless I'm offered some concession.  No matter if I had nothing in particular in mind at the moment - surely, over a couple of hours, I could think of something. Meanwhile, if necessary, I could express wounded sadness if she didn't want to discuss, negotiate, and compromise over whatever I came up with.  Aren't spouses supposed to discuss and compromise?

Needless to say, since I don't believe in following bad role models, and since I value my marriage and am not a sociopath, I decided not to implement this brilliant strategy.

No comments: